Your dedicated ANS team
Answering the call for support with continuing the Australian Naturopathic Summit (ANS) vision, your new ANS team has gathered around Rachel, Kathryn and Nina and is ready to deliver our promise of radically different, mind-blowingly inspiring, truly independent education! Read more about our team members
Our vision is to empower and inspire each naturopathic practitioner to embrace their purpose, passion and desired career path.
The ANS 2020 will unite Naturopaths, Nutritionists and Herbalists, helping you fill up your cup by:
- Being amongst professional and experienced practitioners who are doing exceptional things with their qualifications to inspire others to reach their career goals.
- Recognising where the ancient arts and practices within our profession flourish alongside the application of contemporary scientific practice.
- Brainstorming and broadcasting solution-based approaches to the difficulties we face in this current economy and society.
- Celebrating ourselves as individuals and as a professional community.
- Receiving guidance from those who adhere to our professional ethos.
- Gaining knowledge and insight into different career paths around the profession.
- Creating access to non-biased information and relevant, quality scientific research.
- Updating our clinical management strategies and various tools of trade.
- Networking to share our knowledge and experiences and to forge new business partnerships/mentorships/support networks.
- Growing professional relationships with ethical companies that align nationally and globally with our professional and personal values.
Our Ethics and Values
The ANS is a fiercely independent conference representing and celebrating naturopathic medicine. The conference is aimed at professional naturopaths, nutritionists and herbalists, students, and those with an interest in natural and naturopathic medicine.
Professional conferences have become increasingly conventional. Speakers, although experts in their field, do not specifically represent Australian naturopathic medicine and the schedule of these conferences can sometimes be heavily product focused.
We are doing something entirely different. We value:
Non-biased, ethical naturopathic education of the highest standard
To this end, we will:
- Ensure the quality, integrity and professionalism of our Speakers
- Ensure educational content is independent, impartial, non-biased and professional
- Strive to provide opportunities to increase skill, knowledge, competence and confidence in the practice of naturopathic medicine
- Seek external input and participation in the program development
Responsibility toward Australian Naturopathic medicine
To this end, we will:
- Serve the needs of our naturopathic community first
- Focus on naturopathic issues in an Australian context
- Represent, unite and empower our naturopathic community by showcasing the talent, diversity, skill, knowledge and resilience within the community and those who support and/or serve the community
Honesty and transparency
To this end, we will:
- Ensure the ANS delivers outcomes as we have claimed in our communications
- Disclose our relationship with ANS Sponsors and other service providers for the ANS
- Strive to be clear, truthful and accountable in all ANS activities and communications
To this end, we will:
- Make every effort to acknowledge and serve individual differences and needs
- Listen to the needs of the naturopathic community and make all reasonable efforts to monitor and improve their experience of the ANS on an ongoing basis
- Consider social, cultural and environmental stewardship in our decision-making and ANS activities
Our Environmental Commitment
The ANS is committed to environmental sustainability. We aim to ensure the highest standard of environmental care is achieved in the planning and execution of the ANS. We recognise that we have a responsibility to ensure we consider the environmental impact of our activities and minimise this impact where possible.
We actively aim to:
- Reduce our environmental footprint
- Minimise on-site waste
- Use recycled or biodegradable materials
- Reuse materials between events
- Reduce carbon emissions
- Source materials, resources and services from local and Australian businesses
- Care for the local environment
- Discourage and prevent littering and damage to the ANS Summit venue and grounds
- Lead by example
- Work with vendors and businesses who maintain similar environmental ethics
- Build a sustainable ANS event
- Appreciate the healing power of nature
- Host the ANS event in a place that is set in or close to nature
- Incorporate activities into our program that utilise the natural settings
- Actively promote our environmental commitments and outcomes
The ANS came about in 2015 as a passion project of three naturopaths (Nirala, Rachel and Kathryn), driven by the belief that naturopathic education, engagement, networking, collaboration and professional development could be improved upon. The ANS is now a registered company that does not receive any backing from any professional association, education body etc outside our strict sponsorship agreement. Our speakers, MCs and event support people donate their time and skills, as a result of being passionate about this cause.
Who steers the ANS?
The 2016 delegates helped steer ANS 2018 with all suggestions, ideas and feedback. ANS 2018 benefited enormously from several naturopathic think tanks which included Dr. Jon Wardle, Dr. Judy Singer, Gill Stannard, Leah Hechtman, Louise Zylan, Mim Beim, Freya Gibbs & Helene De Joux (as ANS 2016 volunteer representatives), Charmaine Dennis, Dr. Stuart Glastonbury and Dr. Sue Evans, who are an eclectic representation of the many parts of our profession and who enthusiastically contributed to these think tank discussions and other questions we have thrown at them along the journey, without remuneration. The ANS is a passion project for them also.
The ANS 2020 is being steered by original founders and a team of go-getters.
Our program development and speaker selection process
To clarify our program development and speaker selection process:
- The overarching themes and individual topics for the ANS 2020 will be decided primarily by the think tanks (as described above), the feedback from previous summits and by the ANS 2020 team members. The expansive brainstorming aims to encapsulate and address the current challenges of our Naturopathic profession, provide practice applicable knowledge and ensure professional CPE all while invigorating the joie de vivre in each of the delegate’s professional practices.
- The think tank and ANS 2020 team then extensively discuss and debate the merits of each theme and topic.
- Suggestions are then made on best delivery method to present the topic as well as speakers that match the method. Topics are then collated for further research by the team (as was done for ANS 2018).
- The ANS 2020 team then develop a draft program that accounts for both timing restrictions, suggested speaker availability as well as venue and delegate logistics.
- Our second think tank then review, critique and rework this preliminary program. Making further suggestions as needed.
- The speakers that match the finalised topics and draft program are then contacted and engaged in lengthy discussions with our team to further determine their suitability.
- Third party checks on speakers may be made to better understand their suitability and examine possible conflicts of interest etc.
- Each speaker is issued with a Speaker Guideline document which includes an explicit Commercial Policy clause and they must complete and include a Conflict of Interest Declaration at the beginning of their powerpoint presentation.
What can we say.. we now consider the PROGRAM a piece of art!
When we say we are non-biased, what do we mean?
This means we make it our utmost priority to bring you a conference that represents our Naturopathic tenets and core professional beliefs. We want to be free from third party agendas or skewed evidence for commercial gain. This means our content is driven by you and your patients’ needs and our needs as a profession to grow stronger.
How do we assume we can do this? It’s tricky, right? There are lots of grey areas to navigate but this is how we’ve gone about it so far:
- No sponsors unless they abide by our strict Sponsorship Agreement
- Definitely NO sponsored speakers
- We ensure our speakers adhere to our Speakers Agreement, which includes a declaration of all commercial relationships
Our program is based on your suggestions, our profession’s values and current professional struggles. Our program is not based on the promotion of any commercial products or services.
We’re not perfect
- This is our third attempt at this and we are working hard to continue strengthening and refining our processes.
- All constructive feedback and support is considered, let us know how we’re doing or if you see any breaches in our agreements, or you think any additional clauses should be added.
- Some things take time since we are only a very small team…and we bet you know what that’s like!